Sunday, October 23, 2011

PA 200K - 10/22/2011

Yesterday I rode what is likely my final brevet of the year, an Eastern PA 200K, another great event organized by Tom Rosenbauer. Yesterday Tom offer both a 150K and a 200K event, and it was a very good turnout for a Fall afternoon. Although the weather forecast was for sunny skies and temperatures close to 60, we had cloudy and much cooler temperatures all day, making me think of the coming winter ahead. Even though I have ridden a number of events this Fall, trying to work of a few extra pounds put on at the end of the summer, I found myself really struggling towards the end of the day, with the over 10,000 feet of climbing, and some stomach cramps in the final hours. I was helped in those final hours by riding with my friend John Clamp, whom I had not ridden a brevet with since the Spring. John is a very strong rider, but yesterday he took things to new levels by riding a fixed gear bike on this challenging ride, which I had trouble comprehending all day, as John passed me on the hills while I was pounding away in my granny ring. I had so much fun, and really enjoyed riding the series in PA this year, in my second year of doing brevets. I cant imagine a finer RBA than Tom, and we capped yesterday off with a great BBQ, and excellent support by yesterday's volunteers, Len, Shane, and Shane's daughter, Victoria, who all helped us throughout the day. I learned a lot this year, and will be looking forward to the challenges that 2012 will bring.
Preparing to take off on our 200K @ 7:30 outside the Weisel Hostel
Jon & Tim Crossing Belvedere Bridge
Tim at the Top of Fox Gap Climb
Rick, Tim & John at the finish of the ride, ready to take down some BBQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment