Sunday, March 6, 2011

PA 200K, 3/5/11

timconway120@yahoo.com. Another first for me, as not too long ago, I could never have envisioned reading a blog, let alone writing one, but here we go. That said, as an avid cyclist for the past 12 years, I really could not have envisioned doing or enjoying Randonneur rides, which I had not even heard of until 2 years ago, but  now I seem to be hooked. Another reason for writing, is that I have learned so much by reading other Rando blogs, and following the Google Randon Group, which seems to highlight one of the major differences between Rando's and regular road cyclists or racers is that the Rando community seems so willing to share and help. Lastly, as a "middle aged" father of 2 teenagers, and now "happily married" for 20 years, nobody listens to me in my own household, so....Truth be told, my family has been very supportive of my new cycling path. When I informed my wife at the start of this year that I intended to enter the Shenandoah 1200K in June, she said, "great, when can we expect you to ride across the country"? How can I fail with this type of loving support?

This year will be my second Randonneur season. I would imagine like many newbies, last year I made some physical, mental and tactical mistakes, but I did learn a lot, and also gave me a lot to think about in between seasons. I guess one of the primary questions in entering year two, is do I want to do these events as fast as I am able, as I did last year, or do I want to take my time more and meet more people, etc? As I headed into yesterdays event, I still hadn't really answered that question.

As a N.J. resident, I did all of my initial brevets last year in N.J., riding many of the roads that I am familiar with. I heard from several of the people I rode with and met last year that the PA Rando rides were very well organized, very scenic and challenging (more hilly) Given that my primary motivation from this point forward is training for The Shenandoah, and also that the PA events start about a month before the NJ events I decided to make the drive to PA yesterday, and I was not disappointed. The morning started off very well, as I followed the pre-ride advice to visit The Pancake House, which did not dissapoint. I ordered 3 large blueberry pancakes, which cost $2.95, which made me feel like I was stealing something? Hard to believe that I was only 2 hours away from the very expensive confines of  "The Somerset Hills" of N.J. This was not my only reminder during the day, that I was in a very different environment. We had 32 riders yesterday for the 200k, which I think was a record turnout for this early event. I cant say enough about how well the ride was organized, and the excellent pre-ride communication from Tom Rosenbauer-RBA, Andrew Mead, our Ride Organizer, and George Metzler, for opening his home to everyone for a wonderful BBQ at mile 95, which came at a great time for my group. Like any ride this time of the year, we experienced a few changes in weather, from several hours of cold drizzle, to low 60's by mid afternoon, accompanied by very strong winds around noon, before a big storm was to blow through on Sunday.

I rode with a strong group at the front all day, and met some great riders and new friends. A real highlight for me was reconnecting with John Clamp whom I rode almost the entire NJ 600K with last summer. John and I decided not to spend much time at the "sleep stop" last year, and basically finished the last 180 miles of the ride together on our own, during a day that was in the mid 90's, all day, with no shade. (Those mental & tactical decisions I referred to) Not only is John a very strong rider, last year he did the 600K and a single speed bike, which was very impressive? It took John & I some time to recognize each other yesterday, even though we were riding in the same group, likely because he now has a beard, but more likely because when we last saw each other, we were delirious? At any rate, it was great riding with John again, and I look forward to riding with him again this year. Several of us, ended up putting in an extra 3 miles towards the very end of the ride, as we were not really following our Q sheet all that closely, and were following behind a local Rando. I actually rode with my new Garmin 800 which I had just purchased this week, but have not had the time to figure out how to program routes into yet. I guess that will really help with situations such as those, and I know will be a huge help at night. Never the less, several of us set a new course record, and for now at least, I think the answer to one of my questions is that I like to ride these events at the best pace that I am able to sustain. This was really a great event, and I look forward to the PA 300, and other events.

Lastly, yesterday was my last ride on my original steel frame "Mondonico" which I have been using for these events. As I was planning for the new season, and especially the 1200K, I decided to outfit a new Rando bike using a Gunner Sport frame, which is currently being put together, and I am excited to use and work out any kinks during the coming months. Of course many, if not all of the decisions that I made in putting this bike together came from countless hours spent reading Rando Blogs and The Randon group, so thank you all for your advice and wisdom, and I will be sure to post a photo!  

Until then, keep on truckin', and thanks for reading!


Rick Carpenter, our post lunch, "local" ride addition

Rick, (John & Lenny - fellow N.J. riders)

Gavin, after completing his 1st brevet, "at the front all day"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick_carpenter/5501273806/in/set-72157626032708957/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim! Thanks for the comment on my blog, and welcome to the world of rando blogging. You're right, riding is easier! To put the Garmin stats on my blog I first upload my ride to http://connect.garmin.com. Then there's a toolbar above the map on the right- click on "embed" and copy the html code from the box. Go back to blogspot and switch from the "compose" tab to the "edit html" tab and paste your code in where you'd like the Garmin box to show up. Voila! Maybe we'll meet on the Shenandoah...

    ReplyDelete